Wreakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Wreakers, a viral post-apocalyptic role-playing game set in the near future.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Teach yourself English with Frosty!

Go down 
+2
Mesh'la Runi
Frosty
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Frosty

Frosty

Teach yourself English with Frosty! Empty
PostSubject: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 pm

I'll stop spamming when people start posting.

Today's bizarre English word: Strop.

Applications: "He's being stroppy." "He's got a strop on."

Can you guess what it means?!

Mesh isn't allowed to guess.
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi

Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 3:19 am

It's not what it sounds like! Awesome Smile
Back to top Go down
NitWhit

NitWhit

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:03 am

I certainly hope it's not what it sounds like. Or perhaps my mind's just in the gutter.

I'm guessing the overall impression is something along the lines as 'ill tempered' or 'grumpy'. Although, "He's got a strop on" eludes me if a strop is not somewhat similar to what it sounds like, and since 'he's got an ill temper on' doesn't fit given on implies that you wear whatever it is and you can't literally put on an ill temper or grumpiness.

And I'll shut up now... >_<
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi

Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:08 am

You're actually right Nit. Remember, sometimes word order in British English is quite different. Having a "strop on" works the same way as "putting ON a show." It's essentially the equivalent of saying "He's grumpy" or "He's throwing a hissy fit / temper tantrum."

If you didn't cheat and use urbandictionary, then good job!

(I honestly had no idea what it was either and when he said it, my mind was already gathering rain in said gutter.)
Back to top Go down
NitWhit

NitWhit

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:20 am

Yay. Very Happy And no urban dictionary here, just old fashioned reading comprehension somewhat fueled by what I initially thought it was in my perverse mind.
Back to top Go down
Sederous

Sederous

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 6:31 am

Mesh'la Runi wrote:
You're actually right Nit. Remember, sometimes word order in British English is quite different. Having a "strop on" works the same way as "putting ON a show." It's essentially the equivalent of saying "He's grumpy" or "He's throwing a hissy fit / temper tantrum."

If you didn't cheat and use urbandictionary, then good job!

(I honestly had no idea what it was either and when he said it, my mind was already gathering rain in said gutter.)

Indeed, I actually infered that "having a strop on" would be the equivalent of "having a monkey on your back."

And I posted Frosty so don't worry.

Back to top Go down
Frosty

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Today's word: Paddy

Can be used in the form: "Stop having a paddy." "He's having a right paddy."
Back to top Go down
Heavenly Havok

Heavenly Havok

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Frosty wrote:

sort of like the first one I'm guessing since it seems to be describing something that is being done.

Cheezeburgr, final answer
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi

Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Heavenly Havok wrote:
Frosty wrote:

sort of like the first one I'm guessing since it seems to be describing something that is being done.

I think you're looking for "patty" there, Havok. Laughing (Not sure if you intended that pun or not).

Anyways, had we not discussed this word already, I would have guessed it had something to do with the term "paddy wagon," which I just went and looked up. Interesting history, that.
Back to top Go down
Heavenly Havok

Heavenly Havok

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Mesh'la Runi wrote:
Heavenly Havok wrote:
Frosty wrote:

I think you're looking for "patty" there, Havok. Laughing (Not sure if you intended that pun or not).

Anyways, had we not discussed this word already, I would have guessed it had something to do with the term "paddy wagon," which I just went and looked up. Interesting history, that.

shoot I looked up patty-cake..
Back to top Go down
Frosty

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 5:03 pm

It means anger, or anger fit.

Back to top Go down
Seinn

Seinn

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of UK-English words that mean or pertain to angry fits?
Back to top Go down
Frosty

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Well do remember that it's me explaining the slang. I will tend to pick out the more horrible of words.
Back to top Go down
Seinn

Seinn

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 10:08 pm

I like zonked! My friend from Wales taught me that one when I was around 13, haha. It means really tired, I think. Although I think it can also mean high. Oh wellz. tongue
Back to top Go down
Frosty

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Zonked means only tired to the best of my knowledge.

Oh English slang, you are a funny beast.
Back to top Go down
Frosty

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Today we have a bit of a twist: American slang adapted to English.

What can "I'm fucked" mean? There are three meanings in all! Discover all of them and you may win a prize.

Disclaimer: The prize is not winning a prize
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi

Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:39 am

I feel as though I am the loser in this game, seeing how this spawned from our conversation and therefore I have already learned all of the secrets. Razz
Back to top Go down
NitWhit

NitWhit

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 am

Would one of the definitions be 'in a load of trouble' by chance?
Back to top Go down
Frosty

Frosty

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:40 am

Yep. I can't be arsed to wait for the other two.

It can also mean drunk and sometimes mean tired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teach yourself English with Frosty!   Teach yourself English with Frosty! Empty

Back to top Go down

Teach yourself English with Frosty!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wreakers :: Bravo :: OOC Chat and Games-
Jump to: